The Aspen Times
Transforming Healthcare in Aspen
By: Deborah Breen, President and CEO, Aspen Valley Hospital Foundation
March 17, 2015
Welcome to Aspen Valley Hospital`s "Construction Corner." This is a first in an ongoing series of updates on the modernization and expansion project on the hospital`s campus.
We know that as we move into the next phase of construction, ensuring that our best advocates - the residents of the Valley - are kept informed, is critical to the project`s overall success. This phase will house a new emergency department, center for diagnostic imaging, and same day surgery center. This column is designed to serve as an effective tool to communicate the compelling vision of the master facilities plan and the key construction milestones ahead.
With a vision to serve our community in facilities that better support today`s standards of care, patient expectations, and new technologies, the master facilities plan was developed to address several longstanding facility inadequacies and to "right-size" and modernize a facility that had seen no major improvements since its original construction in 1977.
The timing of the construction phases were carefully orchestrated to ensure the hospital could remain fully operational and accessible during this multi-year construction period.
Areas already completed and receiving rave reviews from our patients include:
- Aspen Birth Center
- The Evelyn H. Lauder Patient Care Pavilion, which houses 16 of the hospital`s 25 inpatient beds
- Therapy Department, which not only includes physical and occupational therapies, but also, speech therapy, a hydro therapy pool, and wound care treatment options
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Unit
- Same-Day Surgery (A much needed temporary upgrade to a unit that will be fully built out and relocated in the next phase of construction)
- Four-Bed Intensive Care Unit
- Oncology/Infusion Center
- On-Campus Medical Office Space for Physicians
- Cafe and Kitchen to better serve our patients, visitors and staff with a wide variety of healthy food options
- Covered Parking Pavilion
There have been so many significant improvements to the campus to date, and we are very proud of our progress. The west side of the campus is now cleared and ready to accommodate a new wing that will be home to emergency, trauma, diagnostic imaging and surgical services. All of these areas have been carefully planned to allow appropriate adjacencies that lead to safe and efficient care as each of these clinical areas work very closely together.
There has never been a more exciting time in our hospital`s history and we look forward to partnering with the community in bringing these ambitious plans to fruition.